Saturday, April 10, 2010

Update?

So, I've been busy. Got a new job. Been doing a lot of gardening. Also selling a few of my unused miniatures on various forums so I can build a few of these;


Aero-kayaks from the Miyazaki movie, "Howl's Moving Castle." For my, as of yet, imaginary French, Victorian, Sci-Fi army. Still working out what materials to use.

I also dug up a "how to" I put together a while back about how to make gabions for your minis. In case anybody is wondering, a gabion is a basket made filled with dirt and rubble used to quickly erect a fortified position. Kind of like sand bags.

Step 1
I made a ring of green stuff and stuck in lengths of styrene rod like so;


I then dabbed some super glue at the base of each rod. I let the green stuff cure and those rods aren't going to come off easy.

Step 2
Took some modeling clay (the kind that doesn't dry or cure) like so;


Then stuck it in like this;


Step 3
I wove rubber bands between the rods. The clay is there to help keep the shape of the basket.


Keep weaving more bands in until done. You could also use raffia or dental floss, maybe wire. I started out trying green stuff but it was too tedious and I couldn't get a consistent shape to the "wicker".

The clay will push up as you go so you'll need to scoop some off the top near the end. Don't scoop too much as you go or the basket will get all conical. The last thing is to cover in a coat or two of white or wood glue and sprinkle a little sand and rubble on the top of the basket.

Finished;






Of course, as is usual, it still needs to be painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment